There is a great deal of confusion when it comes to health and nutrition, as even the most qualified of experts in the field have different opinions about what is “healthy”. This difference of opinion causes a chaos in the minds of individuals who are trying to attain their health goals. But, the following tips for eating healthy are well supported by research, so do check them out!
HOW TO GET STARTED WITH HEALTHY EATING?
– Avoid skipping meals, especially breakfast. A good, energetic beginning of the day will prevent you from overeating later.
– Eat small portions of various foods throughout the day, instead of binge eating at a time.
– Stock your refrigerator with low-calorie snacks like yogurt, grapes etc.
– Include nuts, fruits and seeds in your salads.
– Take support from your doctors or your nutritionist for an eating plan.
– Plan the menu for the week ahead of time, and go grocery shopping with a list. Do not go grocery shopping when you are hungry.
– Start with realistic changes, do not try to change your patterns- all at once. Slow changes are more sustainable.
TIPS FOR EATING HEALTHY:
1. HAVE FRUITS AND VEGETABLES!
These are loaded with minerals, vitamins, fiber and antioxidants, that will keep not only your gut happy, but also help you maintain a healthy heart, memory, and vision- while reducing the risk of cancer.
Include at least 5 cups a day of fruits and veggies in your snacks.
2. REDUCE SALT INTAKE:
Too much salt leads to:
– Fluid retention
– High blood pressure
Salt can be reduced by:
– Limiting the use of table salt.
– Including herbs and spices in your diet: They can prevent chronic diseases due to their anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties.
– Avoid processed foods: They contain more sodium and are devoid of nutritional value. These foods can also cause you to eat more than normal.
– Use whole, organic foods.
– Check the nutrition label for sodium content. Eat low sodium foods like plain popcorn or fruits.
3. LIMIT HIGH FAT AND CHOLESTEROL CONTENT:
– Prefer eating baked, broiled, steamed, poached or microwaved versions of lean meats like chicken, turkey, fish. Fish like salmon are rich in Omega-3 Fatty Acids, which prevent chronic diseases and depression.
– Include Nuts: Although these are high in fat, they are healthy- loaded with vitamins, minerals and fibers.
– Extra Virgin Olive Oil: Rich in monosaturated fatty acids and antioxidants, this oil boosts the health of your heart.
– Avoid Trans Fats: These are found in processed foods made with hydrogenated oils like commercially baked items, junk and fried foods.
-Try consuming whole grain products including bread, pasta etc. which are rich in fiber.
Consume less than 300mg of cholesterol on a daily basis.
4. DRINK PLENTY OF WATER:
Water prevents dehydration and boosts metabolism- supporting weight control.
Divide your bodyweight in pounds by 2 and drink that number of ounces of water every day.
5. INCREASE PROTEIN INTAKE:
Proteins boost the metabolism and help obtain a healthy body weight while modulating blood sugar levels.
– Do not burn or char your meat- this contains harmful compounds that may increase the risk of cancer.
– Prefer lean, white meat instead of red meat.
6. REDUCE SUGAR INTAKE:
Too much sugar (especially refined sugar) leads to tooth decay, destroys metabolic health and causes weight gain. Replace sugary beverages with low-fat milk or water. Remember, fruit juices are also sugary- although the sugar is natural- their consumption must be limited.
7. SUPPLEMENT VITAMIN D3:
As per a statistical analysis, more than 40% Americans suffer from vitamin D3 deficiency. Take Vitamin D3 supplements, which will help keep your bones healthy while reducing the risk of cancer.
8. INCREASE PROBIOTIC CONSUMPTION:
Condition your gut, by keeping the gut microbiota happy. Include probiotic supplements or consume yogurt regularly, for a healthy impact on your gut, physical as well as mental well-being.
I have the most fun when I am playing with my buddies eating BBQ and playing paintball. Except when it gets on my paintball gear. Be sure not to spill BBQ on the equipment you have while playing paintball.